Thursday, November 1, 2007

Cheese, Please Louise!

I wrote this story a few months back on the writing site, FanStory. Thought you might enjoy it! :-) I was really enjoying telling you about our cheese, when Louise the Saanen doe took over!



Goat cheese, please! Hot toasted cheese sandwiches; melted cheese on a baked potato; sliced cheddar cheese sandwich on fresh oven-baked bread. I’ve loved cheese since childhood. Blue cheese, camenbert, brie - I could go on and on. But I never imagined I would end up being a producer for one of the biggest goat-cheese factories in the United States, "Mt. Chevre Creamery," in Wisconsin. Mt Chevre is owned by two French brothers, Arnaud and Jean, who really know how to make cheese.

It started when I read a newspaper article about milking dairy goats and became enthused with the idea. My husband, Paul, calls it an obsession, but let's not nit-pick. Within months, I was the proud owner of a black and white ‘La Mancha’ doe, named 'McKenzie'. La Manchas have little tiny ears but they are excellent milkers. (except Saanens are better)

Soon after that, I persuaded Paul to drive to Ohio to purchase a small herd of thirty Saanen does and two bucks. Saanens originated in Switzerland and you may have read about them, in the classic story, Heidi. The following year we were accepted by the creamery to ship goats milk, and our new career took off.

Now, just four years later, we own 280 dairy goats. Only 170 are milking this year, but they produce over 1000 pounds of fresh goat’s milk each day. Every Wednesday and Sunday, a refrigerated truck pulls up next to our milk-house and empties our "bulk tank", where the milk is stored after each milking.

Next year, our yearling doelings will also begin milking and our pounds of milk produced each day will nearly double. About 560 baby goats will be born in the coming late winter/early spring here on Rainbow Gate Farm. I'm taking applications for anyone who wants to come help and experience life on a dairy-goat farm. Just kidding! (That is a baaaaad pun.)

Goat cheese is superb! Mt Chevre produces so many different varieties. Although I can buy it in our grocery stores, our milk-hauler also brings us cheese direct from the factory. There are soft cheeses blended with pepper, garlic and herbs and my favorite, cranberries! Spread on crackers, they are delicious. They also produce camembert cheese and a variety of hard cheeses. My husband loves feta and usually eats the entire slab before I can get it to the house.

People are amazed when I tell them we milk goats. Here in the United States, goat milk and its by-products are not widely recognized. World-wide, however, there is more goat’s milk and goat’s cheese consumed than cow’s milk. Did you know. . .

Bleeeaaat.

Hey what’s going on! Wait a minute! Get out of that chair! Give me back the mouse. . .

Okay, move over Jaaani. Hi folks. This is Louise, the Saaaaaanen doe. I can’t believe Jan is writing an article about our cheese without letting us goooooats have a say. After all, we’re the ones doing all the hard wooooork.

Hmm. I think she cooooovered most of it already. I've made a few corrections, so now, let me leave you with this little limerick about yours truly!



There was a young goat named Louise

Who produced an abundance of cheese

She became quite a star

Her fame spread so far

That her owners gave her all that she pleased!



When we untie Jan, it’ll be too late for her to change this. I’m going to post it right now. I’ve been listening to her all year rambling on about how much she loves writing on the computer, while she milks us. Now it’s our turn.

What’s that you say? Editing? She can edit this after it’s posted? Naaaaa, she won’t do that. We might all go on strike!

Don't blame her for the title. She had a really dull one posted that didn't mention my name. Siiillly giiiirrrl.

Goooood bbbbbyyyyyeeeee. Enjoy our cheeeesssseeeee!

Love,

Louise, the Saaaanen.

3 comments:

Ron (Sinpelo) Tocknell said...

I'm confused. Have I just read an entry written by a goat?? I'll say this about American goats: they obviously have nimble hooves!

I'm from the UK (well, actually, I'm not from the UK as I'm still here. But I would be from the UK if I was somewhere else). I was in Florida a couple of years back and found that asking for goats cheese got the same response I'd have got if I'd asked for rat's testicles on toast! It's good to know that someone in the US is producing it. In fact, the only cheese I could get was Italian cheeses which appear to be made from some form of latex. Not much taste but, Boy! Does that stuff bounce!!

Janilou said...

LOL! Yes, the goat cheese industry is taking off here at last! That is too funny about the Italian 'Latex' cheese!

What can I say about Louise the goat? She is very talented! :-)

Thank you so much for reading and the comments!
Jan

Ron (Sinpelo) Tocknell said...

An interesting article but still only a theory of how cheese was invented / discovered.

Personally, I think it was invented by the Romans. They needed an effective adhesive to stop the olives from rolling off the pizzas. They initially tried latex from rubber trees which did the trick. Unfortunately latex tastes pretty disgusting and the effect on the bowels.... well, let's not get into that!

However some bright centurion discovered a way of making a sort of rubber-substitute from buffalo milk. This buffalo-milk rubber had little taste so it didn't taint the pizzas like latex did and, as it was a milk product, it was sort of edible.

It was so effective that not only did it stick the olives to the pizzas but it even stuck the pizzas to the centurions, dispensing with the need for a bag to carry them around in. It was also useful for repairing sandals which, interestingly, improved the flavour considerably.

They called this buffalo-milk rubber "Mozzarella" and the rest, as they say, is history.

That's my theory anyway.