Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday's Tail

Yesterday morning, I received a phone call from a friend. She told me a neighbor of hers was giving away "about thirty" Pekin duck eggs and she had a couple of chickens she wanted me to have. Never one to miss a bargain, I turned the incubator on to warm up, jumped in the car and drove over to the neighbor's home.

When I arrived, the neighbor directed me to a dog house behind a silo and then pointed toward the road.

"The rest of the eggs are out there by the road. Oh, by the way, there may be some goose eggs in with them."

My young daughter and I squeezed through an incredibly small space between the silo and a wire fence panel and looked inside the dog house. The very small dog house. There lay about forty eggs.

I reached my hand and removed the first few, before turning to my daughter and saying, "How would you like to get in there and collect them for Mommy?"

Lucky for me, she agreed and we soon had the eggs wrapped in a towel.

We headed for the road next and collected another thirty eggs.

With seventy eggs on board we headed to my girlfriend's house. The cutest puppies I have ever seen waited for us in her yard, eight-week-old 'cockerdoodles'.

After cuddling the pups we headed for her barn and chicken pens. She mentioned she wanted to sell her Naragansett turkeys for $10 each. I am raising Naragansetts so it didn't take long for us to bundle two of them in the trunk of my car after her husband tied their legs together with twine. We set them on a towel beside the cage I'd brought for my two chickens, and after a short chat, waved goodbye.

Now, you can't put turkeys and chickens in a trunk without opening the middle console section of the back seat, so they don't get too hot or short of air. My daughter buckled herself into her booster seat and opened the console.

"I can see them, Mom!" she said.

"Great!" I replied and we began driving home.

About ten minutes later, just as I swerved wide to avoid an Amish buggy ambling along the road, a blood-curdling scream erupted from behind me.

Glancing over my shoulder I caught a glimpse of my daughter's terrified face through the blur of turkey feathers flying around the back seat.

Thirty pounds of live turkey loose in a vehicle doesn't make for safe driving so I pulled over, and we managed to bag the turkey with her leg bindings still hanging from one ankle.

Securing her with an apology for treating her in such a manner, I drove the rest of the way home with a turkey sitting beside me.

We reached home without any further drama. I was prepared when we opened the trunk and the second turkey hen flew over my head! I made a vow to always tie turkey's legs myself in future and lunged for the hen. Much to her disgust, I won.

Now both turkey hens and the chickens are safe with their companions in our barn and the eggs are in the incubator. Duck eggs take twenty-eight days to hatch, but I am not sure about goose eggs! Time to go googling!

6 comments:

Ron Southern said...

Oh, the drama! Whew...

esofthub said...

That was an interesting write-up. I remember as a child my mother raising chickens, pigs, turkeys, sheep, and goats. I had one goat buck me once. It didn't really hurt but scared the heck out of me. Btw, I found your article on Google's "Share your Blog"

Janilou said...

Thanks for the comments! Esofthub - my own son could relate to that! He had a confrontation with one of our bucks too. :-)

esofthub said...

That's funny. At the time, my Mom said I needed an attitude adjustment :)

detroit dog said...

Hi. You might think no one is visiting, but we are. Go to statcounter.com and get a little widget for your site. It will tell you how many people visit (and from where). Also, write your titles as though they were newspaper headlines or something. That way when people google search, they will find you. (Like "Naraganssett Turkey Eggs" or such. Nice blog! Good luck.

Janilou said...

Thank you, Detroit Dog! Great suggestions that I will apply! :-)